Answering “Yes” to God’s Request - Doing His Will

What is God’s will for my life? 


I want to be who HE wants me to be.

I want to DO what HE wants me to do.

We often say and think these things but do our actions measure up? Until we learn to live our life the way God wants, we will be frustrated.

Consider the three points in following God’s will for your life.





Listening to God

A person cannot do God’s personal will for her life if she is not asking God what it is and then listening for HIS answer. 
 
Have you noticed that what we want and think we need is not the direction God has picked for us. Or His answer could be the deepest desire of our heart yet we still have doubts. 

Rarely, if ever, have I experienced a time that God will not answer a question I ask. Even if the answer is wait or you decide. I still get an answer. 

If I still my mind and focus on God, listening for his voice, I hear Him. It may even be one word but it is the answer. 

 

Excuses 

Over the past few year, I have been trying to secure a job--no, a profession, a respectable career--now that my children are no longer my main focus. 

I want to make a steady income that is enough for my family to buy a new mattresses, to go on 
vacations and to not get into debt unexpected bills occur (like a $9,000 roof needing to be done). 

But I also want to be a “professional” to be “someone” in life, to be “respected” among my peers for the work I do and the money I make. I went to college! I graduated with honors. But, scholastic accolades do not compete with years of working in a profession. 

I also don’t answer yes, and do what God says because it is not a practical answer. It does not always pay, instantly -- if at all. 

So I spend years doing things my way, trying paths to financial and professional success, pushing God’s answer into the background of my thoughts. I attempt to do things the world’s way--- to find a way to put in years of work experience to advance in a career. 


Saying “YES” to God

Of course, the act of saying, “yes” is simple, but to commit yourself to that life of aligning daily actions and goals to obey God is complicated. I have to say, “no” to offers that take me off His track for my life, regardless of how good it sounds. I must also take steps to moving in the direction God answered. I must make concrete plans.

If I have not done what God asked, I must first confess. Confession really is part of repentance, which is not only confessing that I have not obeyed: taking the steps to change and turn toward obeying God’s answer. 

Forgive me Father for pushing your answer away and repetitively proceeding in my way. I am sorry for doubting you, and for thinking I know what is best. Please help me to remove the mental, emotional, and physical barriers that have caused me to disobey your answer. Give me a single-minded, straight-as-an-arrow, aim to do what you clearly have asked of me. Remove my fears and enable me to suit up in spiritual armor to withstand all resistance both from within and outside of my being that can sidetrack me from obeying you. Clean me thoroughly that I may be your living sacrifice--a vessel able to be used by you for your purpose on earth. 

Everyone’s prayer will be different. We all speak to God in our own way and with our own language. Just be who you are and talk to God. He knows you and understands the needs and intentions of your soul.


Maybe in time I can share what God asked me to do, but for now I simply want to let this be a private act of obedience that God alone holds me accountable to do. I do this that I may grow in my dependence upon Him.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Premier Designs - A Different Kind of Company!

We Are a Nation of Citizens

5 minutes for Mom Ultimate Blog Party 2009