- The first one is that guilt is a normal human reaction when we do something wrong, especially when we get caught. Another is that it is common among men, we all have felt it.
- For Christians, guilt is not to be a lifestyle but an emotional we feel and then process through when we admit we have done wrong to God and man, and repent.
- Jesus is the standard of right and wrong. Also Jesus is the reason we as Christians do not have to live in a lifestyle of guilt.
- For Christians we do not have to suffer through a waiting period, in a sense a purgatory of shame, before we accept God’s forgiveness and let him take our guilt away.
"Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus” (Romans 8:1).If you haven’t learned it yet. Memorize it. You will need it many times in life to keep from suffering false guilt and believe me the world and Satan wants you to stay miserable suffocated by false guilt, or to take upon a mantle of shame.
But there are also many sins that are simply vows or promises between us personally and God. For example when we are going through a fast and we break it knowingly and intentionally, we sin.
- I could confess it to God and then give up fasting and just go back to eating meats and sweets.
- I could confess it to God and accept His forgiveness and go back to fasting.
It is at that moment that my relationship with God is restored. As far as God is concerned my sin is remembered no more because it is covered in the blood of Jesus. Yes, Jesus even died on the cross for this sin. And I can cling to:
“There is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus” (Romans 8:1) and
“For I will forgive their wickedness and remember their sins no more” (Hebrews 8:12) and
“I have swept away your offenses as a cloud, your sins like a morning mist. Return to me for I have redeemed you. (Isaiah 44:22).These are just a few of the times God so graciously and beautiful tells us when he forgives our sins, we are no longer guilty! Praise God!
- not understand how you can so quickly recover,
- wonder how you can walk without condemnation as soon as you confess,
- doubt how you can make a determination before God to change and sin no more in that specific area.