Hurting people hurt those closest to them, and the core of the pain is not knowing you are loved by God, another and yourself.
|Life-long Love - Marriage is Worth it!|
I remember about 15 years ago...
when I taught a women's Bible study class at what was then called First Baptist of Smyrna. I confessed to the women in the class that I was so mad at my husband I wished an 18 wheeler truck would run him over. Needless to say my time as a Bible teacher at that church was short-lived.
I had no qualms about speaking so forthright, but is it took me almost 20 years to finally figure out why churches keep finding creative ways to not use me in ministry. (This is a whole 'nother topic I will get to another day.)
I just got permission from my dear husband of now 27 write about hard lessons learned in our marriage.
So here is the gritty dirty truth about marriage that "good pretend-people" don't want to share:
Marriage (a commitment to another person and God to remain together for life) is very hard to accomplish, even if you are a Christian!
Marriage joins together by a solemn vow to God two people who are completely uniquely, created individuals. They have:
- their own personalities (quirks, habits, annoyances, pet-peeves, and the good stuff too).
- their strengths and weaknesses that come in all shapes and sizes.
- a past... none of us are born at 21 to be freshly married; we each have lived some.
- their own dreams, and ideas of what success looks and feel like.
- different relatives and friends (usually).
- You also share a kitchen, living room, bathroom, garage and cars.
- And the biggest grace builder in life, you share your children, who at the same time can be the very glue that forces you to endure life together but all the while scrapes you like rough edges of sandpaper or a broken bottle (whichever may be the case, in your family).
Be open to God doing redeeming work of healing your marriage, but don't ever stay in an abusive or seriously neglectful situation. Protect yourself, (and your children)!
Through many shared testimonies, I will tell you a firm fact: God can touch the heart of the wickedest people and change them from the inner core to their outer actions and words. We all need grace and opportunities to know God's love, acceptance and forgiveness. At the same time, understand that some people will never let God into their life. Some people will remain wicked, sick and hateful. You are never bound to life with a person like this.
- allow God to improve them,
- become more who God intended them to be from the start,
- be conformed to Christ-likeness.
Keep in mind, some of us are slower surrendering to God our sin and painful sin committed against us. But still, God asks that we bear all with love toward each other. Living together as walking zombies doesn't count as making your marriage work! Marriage is worth the pain, the fight, and the perseverance!
you will love more deeply than you ever dreamed possible when you first said, "I do!"
|In older ages if you are still married, you can be Uniquely One!|
Some of the years are hard, even horrible to get through, but hang on tight, because marriage is so worth it. Nothing in the world can compare to loving and accepting someone after you sincerely know each other. To know you are loved and accepted for who you turn out to be is an amazing gift when it is shared.