I could fill an entire shelf with all the potential family devotional books. We have:
- toddler time in the Word,
- Children Bibles, Christian Bible Videos (Old & New Testament with workbooks),
- Young Inductive Bible studies, Teen Discipleships on topics of teen interest, Purity studies,
- Bible on CD, 24 Steps for Every Family devotional, Family Time books,
- Bible Memory Verse programs,
- Drawing the Bible Study, Acting out the Bible Time, Sing Fun Christian Songs, Color the Hymns,
- And that doesn't count all the books of godly missionaries, reformers, preachers, and martyrs.
Regardless of how well prepared parents are or how age-appropriate and nicely packaged the study may be, Satan is working overtime to ensure that Family Devotions fail. What better joy for him then to see children and parents grumble, annoy, and in so many creative ways simply destroy "Bible Time"!
I have a word of encouragement for you: Persevere!
Consider it all joy my brethern, when you encounter various trials knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance (perseverance) and let endurance have its perfect work, so that you may be perfect and complete (mature/whole/sanctified), lacking nothing. (James 1:2-3)
Are you still fumbling around to get started? Are you dragging moping people to gather around? Are hearing the whining and complaints about the timing, the study, the subject matter, the room selected, or the color of your hair? (: Persevere!
Have you been humbled by loosing your cool, by rasping back a reply, by you not getting out of bed in time, by the Holy Spirit checking your attitude or by spilling another drip of coffee on your shirt? (: Persevere!
Have you grown weary of being challenged, questioned why this study was picked, offered unsolicited reviews of how ridiculously lacking the questions are? Or maybe you have been blessed with the aged-wisdom that "one of a special kind" of timeless teenage wisdom, the "You don't have a clue what you are doing" assurance. Persevere!
Cheer up! This too shall pass in probably a decade... and no matter what you get wrong you are pressing forward doing what God has called you to do!
|Train up a Child in the Way the should go and when he is old he shall not depart from it. (Duet 6:6-7)|
What are your family devotionals like?